North Korea has fired three short-range missiles from its east coast. South Korean officials have been carefully monitoring the missile firings as tensions rise again in the Korean Peninsula. The missiles were fired on Saturday morning and afternoon in a north-east direction. Analysts have said the missiles were not as dangerous as the intermediate-range missiles which Pyongyang had ...
Violence has erupted in many areas of Iraq. On Saturday morning eight people, including a police officer, his wife and children, were killed by gunmen who also kidnapped ten security force personnel in the Rashid area, south of Baghdad. The gunmen first broke into the home of the local administrator, killing one of his guards. They then moved on to the nearby house of Captain Adnan ...
A federal judge in the US has given law agents permission to track people's mobile phones without a warrant. New York judge Gary Brown has ruled that law enforcement agents can conduct cell phone surveillance against people who forget to turn their phones off. In a written ruling, he said: "Given the ubiquity and celebrity of geo-location technologies, an individual has no legitimate ...
A top general has warned that Washington is facing a crisis due to the scandal of sexual assaults in the country's military. The Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff General Martin Dempsey has called for the Obama administration to heed his warning, saying the country is in danger of losing women soldiers. During the week, US President Barack Obama met with General Dempsey, Defense ...
Northern Irish golfer Graeme McDowell has defended his slip about World No.2 Rory McIlroy leaving his management company, saying that although the move is not yet confirmed, it is already being much talked about in the golfing world. For weeks there have been whispers at big events in America that McIlroy is about to leave Horizon, the Dublin-based management agency that negotiated his 20 ...
Female Trouble [DVD]
What makes the early trash cinema of John Waters so unique is the breadth of his influences and how those influences found their way into his manic, often repulsive low-budget midnight flicks. Cinematically, he was influenced by surrealists such as Luis Buuel and Salvador Dali, experimental filmmakers like Kenneth Anger and Andy Warhol, and the horror schlock of Herschell Gordon Lewis. Politicall ... ...
Brazilian president Dilma Rousseff officially opened Brasilia's Mane Garrincha World Cup stadium. Despite controversy surrounding delays and cost overruns, Rousseff said the 71,000-seat venue was now the source of pride among Brazilians, reports Xinhua. "A year ago they said that we wouldn't build our stadiums, that they wouldn't be ready. But now we are seeing that the stadiums have been ...
An environment campaign to enhance international efforts to combat the smuggling of elephant ivory tusks is being undertaken by the Dubai Police General Command. The new campaign is part of an ongoing bid by Dubai authorities to clamp down on the illegal shipment of elephant tusks from Africa to the Far East. According to Gulf News daily, the police awareness campaign was launched in Dubai's ...
It was a violent day in Iraq Saturday with at least 11 people killed and 10 policemen kidnapped as hatred simmers between the ruling Shi'ite majority and the Sunni minority. Gunmen broke into the home of an anti-terrorism policeman in the Baghdad suburb of Rasheed, killing him, his wife, and two children. Another security officer was killed elsewhere in Rasheed. Police say gunmen killed ...
VATICAN CITY Pope Francis shared personal moments with 200,000 people on Saturday, telling them he sometimes nods off while praying at the end of a long day and that it "breaks my heartrdquo; that the death of a homeless person is not news. Francis, who has made straight talk and simplicity a hallmark of his papacy, made his unscripted comments in answers to questions by four people at ...
A top Pakistani politician has been shot and killed in Karachi. Police say Zahra Shahid Hussain was shot twice in the head Saturday during an attempted street robbery outside her home. She died on the way to the hospital. A spokesman for Hussain's Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf party, or PTI, calls her killing an act of terrorism. Hussain was a senior vice president of PTI, which ...
On the record
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
JW Marriott, Las Vegas Resort, Spa & Golf
This luxury establishment is located in Summerlin, a golfing community about a 15 minute drive northwest of the Las Vegas ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Iraq SunIraq Sun – iraqsun.com: Latest Headlines from Iraq
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Iraq Sun is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Iraq news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Iraqi news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Iraq news, the weather forecast for Iraq you'll find it all in the Iraq Sun.
From Mosul to Baghdad, the Iraq Sun should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
It was a violent day in Iraq Saturday with at least 11 people killed and 10 policemen kidnapped as hatred simmers between the ruling Shi'ite majority and the Sunni minority.
Gunmen broke into the home of an anti-terrorism policeman in the Baghdad suburb of Rasheed, killing him, his wife, and two children. Another security officer was killed elsewhere in Rasheed.
Police say gunmen killed a Sunni cleric near his home in the southern port city of Basra and a car bomb exploded in the town of Latifiya, killing at least one person. Suspected Sunni Muslims kidnapped at least 10 policemen in Ramadi, near the Syrian border.
Iraq's Sunni population says the Shi'ite-led government of Prime Minister Nouri-al-Maliki has been ignoring their needs while targeting them for arrests since taking power 10 years ago.
On Friday, 70 people were killed in a series of bomb attacks targeting Sunnis, including two blasts outside a mosque north of Baghdad. Bombings and other violence have killed more than 100 people in Iraq in the past week.
- WLOX Editorial Prepare South Mississippi
- Letter Death camp contrast Why the silence on Soviet Union camps
- Letter Investigate all levels from Swallow to the Obama administration
- Letter Labeling all exotic animals as dangerous is extreme
- Robin Abcarian Military sexual assaults were supposed to end
- Iraq seeing more violence
- Assad blasts West claims of chemical weapons in Syria as pretext to wage war
- Ozzy Osbourne moves back in with wife Sharon
- Suspected U.S. drone attack in Yemen kills 4 Al Qaeda militants
- Sectarian Violence Kills 11 in Iraq
- Kayani throws weight behind Nawaz Sharif ahead of govt. transition
- Musharraf should leave Pak before elected govt. takes charge PML-N tells Kayani
- Afghan Lawmakers Block Womens Rights Law
- B.C.’s Ahmadiyya Muslim community finally has its own mosque
- Is religious faith the cure for terrorism
- Million at risk from Care Bill
- Casualty in crisis AE - a service in meltdown
- Obsessive compulsive hoarding A serious health risk in store
- Kirsty Allsopp and her sister speak about their breast cancer dilemna
- Extra Vitamin D May Ease Crohn’s Symptoms Study Finds
- Wyndham enters into Singapore with 2 brands.
- Are North Americans ready to spend
- Travel Industry Leaders Discuss Tourism’s Impact on the U.S. Economy and Changing Vacation Demographics
- Wanda Hotels and Resorts to Expand IDeaS Revenue Management Support Across All Group Managed Hotels
- National Association of Mortgage Field Services to Exhibit at...
- Roll-Kraft Awarded For Safety In Production Of Tooling For Tube ...
- Bes-Techs Digi-Air™ Controller Awarded Patent
- Property E.R. Specialists is Now Servicing Treasure Valley
- Shadows of dishonor cast on the U.S. military
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Iraq Sun headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Iraq seeing more violence
- Sectarian Violence Kills 11 in Iraq
- Anti-terror officer killed with family in Baghdad
- Iraq death toll stirs fears of civil war
- Iraq needs deep change to avoid sectarian war says paper