The bomber attacked a guesthouse owned by Younis al-Rammah, who was a candidate in provincial elections beginning today, late on Tuesday in Nineveh. Mr Rammah and four relatives were killed and six others wounded. Candidates are frequent targets for insurgents who aim to disrupt the political process.Two suicide bombers also targeted a Shia mosque in Baghdad on Tuesday, one blowing himself up at ...
View Photo AFP/AFP/File - Iraqi military vehicles are pictured in front of a Shiite mosque in Baghdad on June 18, 2013 following a suicide bombing. A suicide bombing in northern Iraq killed a provincial political ...
David Cameron insisted he had "learned the lessons of Iraq" as world leaders at the G8 summit in Northern Ireland set out an agreed blueprint for the future of Syria. But the British Prime Minister was again warned not to consider arming the Syrian rebels by President Vladimir Putin, who compared them to the killers of Drummer Lee Rigby. Cameron and President Barack Obama persuaded Putin to ...
Iraqi mourners carry the coffin of Dhia Mutasharm, a Shi'ite militia fighter killed in clashes with the Free Syrian Army, during a funeral in Basra, 420 km (261 miles) southeast of Baghdad in this May 6, 2013 file ...
UNITED NATIONS // The secretary general of the United Nations, Ban Ki-moon, yesterday recommended moving a step closer to ending all of the UN sanctions imposed on Iraq more than two decades ago after the country's former leader, Saddam Hussein, invaded Kuwait in 1990. Despite the fall of Saddam in 2003 after an invasion led by the United States, the UN has not fully lifted the sanctions. ...
The Thief of Bagdad [DVD]
There is an innocence to The Thief of Bagdad that is notably unusual in todays theaters. With rare exception, even those movies that are explicitly aimed at children today feel the need to have an ironic edge, proving their coolness with pop culture references and levels ... ...
Relatives of the soldiers killed in Iraq recognise "it's going to be a long hard road" but say they got "the right result" after winning a fight for the right to sue the MoD for ...
New Delhi, Jun 19 (Prensa Latina) The Indian Foreign Minister Salman Khurshid, begins a two-day visit to Iraq aimed at reviving bilateral relations and negotiate greater purchases of oil to the Arab nation, currently its second largest supplier. The Indian foreign minister is scheduled to meet with his Iraqi counterpart Hoshiyar Zebari, and Prime Minister Nouri Al-Maliki, to discuss mutual ...
The Supreme Court - the highest court in the UK - ruled that damages claims could be launched under legislation covering negligence and human rights.Lawyers representing relatives said the ruling meant the Ministry of Defence owed a duty of care to properly equip servicemen and women who went to war.But Defence ...
An Iraqi policeman casts his ballot in Ramadi on June 17, 2013 as security forces vote in provincial polls ahead of the rest of Iraqis in the Anbar province. Iraq held provincial elections in April except in six provinces, including Anbar and Nineveh, where polls were delayed because authorities said security could not be guaranteed (Azhar Shallal / AFP) A suicide bombing in northern Iraq on ...
BAGHDAD - Iraqi officials say a suicide attack has killed a local political leader and four of his relatives in northern Iraq. A police officer said Wednesday that a suicide bomber blew himself up late the previous night inside Younis al-Rammah's guesthouse in the northern province of Ninevah. He says al-Rammah and four relatives were killed and six others wounded. The slain leader headed ...
On the record
Our nuclear programmes are completely transparent. But we are ready to show greater transparency and make clear for the whole world that the steps of the Islamic Republic of Iran are completely within international frameworks. The sanctions are unfair, the Iranian people are suffering, and our (nuclear) activities are legal. These sanctions are illegal and only benefit Israel.
Iran's president-elect was speaking after his historic election victory.
New York-New York Hotel & Casino
Awe struck us on our arrival at this relatively new hotel and casino establishment at the top of the Strip. ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
Should tax havens be forced to lift their shroud of secrecy?
Iraq SunIraq Sun – iraqsun.com: Latest Headlines from Iraq
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Iraq Sun is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Iraq news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Iraqi news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Iraq news, the weather forecast for Iraq you'll find it all in the Iraq Sun.
From Mosul to Baghdad, the Iraq Sun should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
At least 32 people were killed and over 50 injured in twin suicide bomb attacks at a mosque in the Iraqi capital, an interior ministry official said.
The attacks occurred around midday at the al-Husseiniyah mosque in al-Qahira district, when two suicide bombers blew themselves up during prayers, Xinhua reported.
The official said the two attackers first shot dead the guards of the mosque with silenced weapons before entering the building and blowing up their explosive vests.
Ambulances, civilian and police vehicles evacuated the injured to various hospitals across the city.
BBC said Tuesday's attack comes a day after bombings killed at least 10 people in the cities of Taji and Fallujah near Baghdad.
Last month was the bloodiest in Iraq since June 2008, with 1,045 civilians and security officials killed.
- NRI lawyer wins Iran bank case in British Supreme Court
- Editorial Moderates win raises hopes of new dawn in Iran
- Turkey A Long and Eventful Week in Istanbul
- Globe Editorial Accountability not lack of money is the real problem on federal reserves
- Farewell to hotel room service
- Obama welcomes Iran's election of moderate president
- Gaddafi's son to stand trial in Libya in August
- Leaders of G8 call for peace in Syria and pledge humanitarian aid
- NRI lawyer wins Iran bank case in British Supreme Court
- 5000 Indian expats in Saudi Arabia get new jobs
- Tunisia arrests Muslim cleric for hardline sermon
- Myanmar court sentences 2 Muslim women over sectarian violence
- Spreading Polio in the Name of Islam
- Egypts Muslim Brotherhood braces for future trouble
- Religion news in brief - Quincy Herald-Whig | Illinois Missouri News Sports
- Aspen seeks to acquire GSK thrombosis drug and plant
- Duchess of Cambridges natural birth safest for the baby
- Babies behind bars A Palestinian fertility doctor has become an unlikely hero by helping women conceive – even though their husbands are in jail
- Change breast cancer test says Angel of Mostar before major surgery
- Uncooked curry leaves caused mass outbreak of salmonella in Newcastle say health officials
- Hyatt Place Downtown Pittsburgh Acquired by Chatham for $40 Million
- Anne Engelking Smith Named VP Brand Strategy for Choice Hotels
- Ritz-Carlton Los Angeles Appoints Reggie Dominique Hotel Manager
- AHLA - New Association Model Allows Broader Member Engagement
- KnowledgeWharton - Does the Good Outweigh the Bad Sizing Up Selective Corporate Social Responsibility
- UK inflation rises to 2.7pc in May pushed by higher transport cost
- More Russian Oil Flows to China in Shift From Europe
- Veresen Announces Common Share Dividend for June 2013
- Shell to resume Niger delta oil spill compensation talks
- CNPC Starts Building First Shale-Gas Pipeline in Sichuan
- US women in all combat units by 2016 Pentagon
- Joint Strike Fighter on Track Costs Coming Down Kendall Says
- Face of Defense Wounded Warrior Becomes Military Doctor
- ItsHot.com is Now Offering 77 Discount on New Diamond Hoop Earrings
- Summer Proves a Dangerous Season for Motorcyclists
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Iraq Sun headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Iraq election candidate killed in suicide bomb attack
- Iraq bombings kill 13 ahead of vote
- Syria wont be another Iraq
- Iraqi Shiites flock to Assads side as sectarian split widens
- Ban Ki-moon recommends end to Iraq sanctions